Generally regarded as Sandy Wilson’s second musical (his first being “The Boy Friend” – available on SEPIA 1042), “The Buccaneer” was suggested by a real-life event, the invasion from America of the so-called “Horror Comics” which was threatening to corrupt our innocent children (this was in the 1950s), and also threatening the survival of traditional boys’ magazines such as The Buccaneer.
“The Buccaneer” was staged three times in London – it was first presented at the Watergate, a tiny theatre off the Strand in 1953 where it failed to attract an audience but when “The Boy Friend” became a hit, “The Buccaneer” was staged at the Lyric, Hammersmith in 1955 with six new numbers added. A young actor called Kenneth Williams (“Carry on..”) was cast as the precocious Montgomery Winterton. Both production and Williams received praise and the show ran to full houses, then toured and finally transferred to the Apollo in the West End. The delightful cast recording makes its first appearance on CD here.
For bonus tracks we have included selections from two other West End shows – the four songs which were recorded from the short-lived “Romance in Candlelight” starring Sally Ann Howes, Patricia Burke and Jacques Pils; and Patricia Burke’s three major solos from “The Lisbon Story”, a show that ran for over 500 performances in London during the war.
1. Overture – Orchestra
2. Good Clean Fun – Betty Warren
3. Captain Fairbrother – Eliot Makeham
4. It’s Commercial – Ronald Radd
5. Unromantic Us – Sally Bazely, John Faassen, Billie Love, Jullia Smith
6. (a). The Facts Of Life – Kenneth Williams
(b). You’ll Find Out – John Faassen7. Something’s Missing – Thelma Ruby
8. For Adults Only – Kenneth Williams and Pamela Tearle
9. Oh, What A Beautiful Brain – Pamela Tearle
10. Read All About It – Pamela Tearle and Kenneth Williams
11. a). Just Another Man – Sally Bazely
(b). Just Another Girl – Kenneth Williams
12. In The Good Old U.S.A. – Ronald Radd and Pamela Tearle
13. Learn To Do One Thing Well – Thelma Ruby
14. Why Did It Have To Be Spring – Sally Bazely, Kenneth Williams
15. Behind The Times – Betty Warren and Eliot Makeham
16. Just Pals – Pamela Tearle and Kenneth Williams
17. Finale: Just Pals – The Company Bonus Tracks
18. Selections from “The Buccaneer” Part 1 – Peggy Cochrane19. Selections from “The Buccaneer” Part 2 – Peggy Cochrane20. Selections from “The Boy Friend” 1 – Original Johannesburg Co21. Selections from “The Boy Friend” 2 – Original Johannesburg CoROMANCE IN THE CANDLELIGHT
22. Live A Little, Love A Little – Sally Ann Howes and Jacques Pils
23. Romance In Candlelight – Patricia Burke and Roger Dann
24. My Heart Says Yes – Sally Ann Howes
25. Oo-La-La, Boom-Boom-Boom – Jacques Pils
THE LISBON STORY
26. Never Say Goodbye – Patricia Burke
27. Some Day We Shall Meet Again / Follow The Drum – Patricia Burke
There are no reviews yet.