Purposely written to sound like and produced to remind one of JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT, SWAN ESTHER has a great score that is both lively, tuneful and immediate. I can’t get enough of this one!
RELEASE DATE: MAY 2nd, 2014
•FIRST TIME ON CD!
•DIGITALLY REMASTERED FROM THE MASTER TAPES
•FULL COLOUR 8 PAGE BOOKLET
‘Swan Esther’ is a musical retelling of the biblical story of Esther, the Jewish queen of the Persian King Ahaseuerus. The musical was the brainchild of legendary theatre producer David Land in a bid to replicate the earlier success he had achieved with ‘Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat’. Featuring an upbeat and memorable score by Nick Munns and J. Edward Oliver, the musical was recorded as a concept album in February 1983 featuring Stephanie Lawrence as Esther, Denis Quilley as Haman and Clive Carter as the minstrel Mordecai. ‘Swan Esther’ opened for a limited run at London’s Young Vic Theatre in December 1983 starring Amanda Redman in the title role.
After undergoing many revisions, the show embarked on a successful UK tour in 1985 produced by Bill Kenwright. Now titled ‘Swan Esther And The King’, the new production starred Jackie Marks, Chris Corcoran and Warwick Evans and featured additional songs composed with Shirlie Roden and John Miller.
‘Swan Esther’ now debuts on CD featuring the complete 1983 concept album coupled with studio rehearsal demos of the additional songs composed for the touring production ‘Swan Esther And The King’.
As a special bonus, the album features an unreleased recording by Stephanie Lawrence from the unstaged musical adaptation of ‘How Green Was My Valley’
SWAN ESTHER – ORIGINAL CONCEPT ALBUM
Music: Nick Munns | Lyrics: J. Edward Oliver
Recorded at Marquee Studios, London – February 1983
01. INTRODUCTION AND BOW DOWN – The Choir Of The King’s House School Richmond, Stephen Hill
02. A FAR OUTPOST OF PERSIA – Clive Carter
03. THE QUEEN’S PARTY – Clive Carter, The Swan Esther Singers
04. THE EMPEROR’S WRATH – Clive Carter, Stephen Hill
05. HAMAN’S ADVICE – Denis Quilley, Stephen Hill
06. A BRIGHT IDEA – Clive Carter, Stephen Hill, Denis Quilley
07. I’VE NEGLECTED TO MENTION – Clive Carter, Stephanie Lawrence
08. WE ALL NEED – The Swan Esther Singers, The Choir Of The King’s House School Richmond
09. MY LOVE IS LIKE A DREAM – Stephanie Lawrence
10. BOW DOWN (LET’S MEET THE QUEEN) – Denis Quilley, The Choir Of The King’s House School Richmond
11. A STRANGE GIRL – Stephen Hill
12. KILL THE KING! – The Choir Of The King’s House School Richmond, Clive Carter
13. THE EMPEROR’S MEMOIRS – Stephen Hill, Stephanie Lawrence
14. TREASON – Stephen Hill
15. I AM GREAT! – Denis Quilley, Clive Carter
16. I DON’T TRUST HAMAN – Denis Quilley, Stephanie Lawrence, Clive Carter
17. NOTHING TO LOSE – The Square Pegs, The Swan Esther Singers
18. ESTHER – Stephen Hill, Stephanie Lawrence
19. EVIL HAMAN – The Square Pegs, The Choir Of The King’s House School Richmond, Denis Quilley
20. THE KING CAN’T SLEEP – The Square Pegs, Stephen Hill
21. FINALE (HAMAN’S THE ONE / AHASUERUS REPENTS / ESTHER AND MORDECAI / SWAN ESTHER) – Full Company
SWAN ESTHER AND THE KING – STUDIO REHEARSAL DEMOS
Music: Nick Munns | Lyrics: J. Edward Oliver | Additional Music & Lyrics: Shirlie Roden & John Miller
Recorded at Redan Recorders, London – January 26th-28th 1985
22. MEN ARE PIGS – Shirlie Roden, Debi Doss, Jackie Marks
23. TAKE AWAY MY CROWN – Shirlie Roden, Richard Barnes
24. ONE LOVE – Jackie Marks
25. COUNTRY GIRL – Jackie Marks
26. GOLDEN STATE – Company
27. PERSIA IS STABLE – Jackie Marks, Richard Barnes
28. WHICH WAY SHALL I TURN? – Jackie Marks
29. THE GENERATION GAME – Male Ensemble
30. ONE LOVE (REPRISE) – Shirlie Roden, Richard Barnes
31. HERE STANDS A MAN – Stephanie Lawrence
(From the 1992 recordings of the unproduced musical ‘How Green Was My Valley’ – music & lyrics Shirlie Roden)
There are no reviews yet.