Narrated by Petula Clark. Emile Zola is a passionate man – passionate against injustice, passionate about love! Also, a man divided … between keeping his status and wealth, from his international writing success, and risking losing it all by standing up publicly against a conspiracy of lies in the Dreyfus affair: and divided too by passionate love for both women in his life … Sandrine, his wife: and Jeanne, the mother of his two beloved children.
1. INTO EXILE / THE WRITER – Dave Willetts, Ensemble
2. PARIS (TAKE A LOOK BENEATH THE SURFACE) – Dave Willetts, Ensemble
3. LOVE FOR LIFE – Dave Willetts, Jill Martin, Meredith Braun
4. THE FACE OF LOVE – Meredith Braun
5. I’VE HAD ENOUGH – Dave Willetts, Jill Martin
6. IT’S NOT ENOUGH – Dave Willetts
7. FRIEND OF MY HEART – Dave Willetts
8. FRIEND OF MY HEART (REPRISE) – Jill Martin
9. ROUND AND ROUND – Dave Willetts, Jill Martin, Meredith Braun
10. I ACCUSE…! – Dave Willetts
11. IT’S UP TO YOU – Martyn Ellis
12. (I LOVE YOU) TI AMO – Dave Willetts
13. THE RETURN – Dave Willetts
14. THE WRITER (FINALE) – Dave Willetts, Ensemble
15. (I LOVE YOU) TI AMO – RADIO EDIT – Dave Willetts
Total Running Time: 53 minutes
Petula Clark and Dee Shipman began writing their musical based on the life of French author Emile Zola in 1988, while their first musical Someone Like You was in pre-production. Although the musical was demo’d in 1988 and 1991 a production never came to fruition and the score remained incomplete.
In autumn 2010 work began on a brand new studio concept recording, assembling an all star cast of West End performers. Recording at London’s prolific Angel Studios between January – March 2011, J’Accuse…! features orchestrations and musical direction by Paul Bateman (Sarah Brightman’s musical director) and the voices of Dave Willetts, Jill Martin, Meredith Braun and Martyn Ellis.
The musical is currently in the pre-production stages, with a new book by Dee Shipman and direction by Dave Willetts. A production is envisaged for Winter 2011 / 2012.