“Have Faith” is a boldly unique and contemporary concept album that addresses issues of faith and doubt from a variety of perspectives, mixing a 1980’s pop feel with elements of electronic, classical and folk music.
This may not be what you have come to expect from Mary Testa but as the album progresses it builds in both interest and power. It’s greatly aided by the remarkably talented orchestrator Michael Starobin whom Mary met when she did her first show – William Finn’s IN TROUSERS. In today’s world it is highly unusual to have such a large orchestra (13 musicians!!) but this fact, coupled with Michael Starobin’s arrangements and Mary’s terrific performances make this labor of love one of the more exciting releases to come along this season.
“Have Faith” is a boldly unique and contemporary concept album that addresses issues of faith and doubt from a variety of perspectives, mixing a 1980’s pop feel with elements of electronic, classical and folk music. The album features songs by Top 40 artists Alanis Morissette, Prince and Annie Lennox, as well as 1960’s legends The Beach Boys and Leonard Cohen. It also includes songs by current musical theater writers William Finn and Michael John LaChiusa, whose work Mary has often introduced on stage. Starobin himself contributes original music to a sparkling new interpretation of “Sonnet 29,” from Shakespeare’s iconic series.
The album was produced by David Baron, with arrangements for the 13-piece band by Mary Testa and Michael Starobin and orchestrations by Starobin. Catherine Rush serves as Executive Producer.
1. Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries (Ray Henderson / Lew Brown)
2. What If (Michael John LaChiusa)
3. Sonnet 29 (William Shakespeare / Michael Starobin)
4. Heroes (Jill Sobule / Robin Eaton)
5. Pink (Steven Tyler / Richie Supa / Glen Ballard)
6. Sometimes it Snows in April (Prince / Wendy Melvoin / Lisa Coleman)
7. Change (William Finn)
8. Sister Clarissa (Michael Smith)
9. Soldiers of Christ (Jill Sobule / Robin Eaton)
10. Lost (Annie Lennox)
11. On the Other Side (Michael John LaChiusa)
12. God Only Knows (Brian Wilson / Tony Asher)
13. Unravel (Bjork / Guy Sigsworth) / If I Loved
You (Richard Rodgers / Oscar Hammerstein II)
14. Heaven (Michael John LaChiusa)
15. Thank U (Alanis Morissette / Glen Ballard)
16. Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)
Vocals: Mary Testa
Arrangements: Mary Testa and Michael Starobin
Orchestration and Sequencing: Michael Starobin
Executive Producer: Catherin Rush; Waldron Productions, Inc.
Producer: David Baron; Edison Music
Piano: Marco Paguia
Piano: Michael Starobin (Sometimes it Snows in April, Hallelujah)
Guitars: Danny Blume
Accordion: Marco Benevento
Electric Bass: Sara Lee
Drums and Percussion: Ben Perowsky
Flute: Tony Aiello
Trumpet: Chris Pasin
Trombone: Howard Levy
Tuba: Michael Starobin
Violins: Robin Zeh and Paul Woodiel
Viola: Whitney LaGrange
Cello: Alisa Horn
Acoustic Bass: Marc Schmied
Music Copying: Emily Grishman Music Preparation