Post-war gloom for many in Britain was lifted with the arrival of “Oklahoma!” at London’s Theatre Royal, Drury Lane; the first by-product from the partnership of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein. The show was innovative, ground breaking and a major success. Playing the role of Curly was Harold Keel who went onto further success in Hollywood as Howard Keel.
Their next show in London, “Carousel” chalked up 566 performances before closing to make way for “South Pacific”. Mary Martin who had originated the role of Nellie Forbush on Broadway came to London to reprise her role and the show ran for over 800 performances.
Featured on this CD are re-mastered tracks of all three shows taken from the original 78 rpm records and the 12 page booklet contains production photographs.
Rodgers & Hammerstein In London
1. (a) Oh, What A Beautiful Mornin’ – Howard Keel
(b) The Surrey With The Fringe On Top – Howard Keel
(c) Out Of My Dreams – Betty Jane Watson and Chorus 4:22
2. (a) Kansas City – Walter Donahue
(b) I Cain’t Say No – Dorothea MacFarland
(c) People Will Say We’re In Love – Betty Jane Watson 3:26
3. (a) The Farmer Dance – Chorus
(b) Pore Jud Is Daid – Howard Keel and Henry Clarke (c) It’s A Scandal, It’s An Outrage – Chorus 4:16
4. (a) Many A New Day – Betty Jane Watson (b) All ‘Er Nothing’ – Walter Donahue and Dorothea MacFarland
(c) Oklahoma! – Howard Keel and Chorus 4:06
5. If I Loved You – Iva Withers & Stephen Douglass 4:51
6. a) June Is Bustin’ Out All Over – Marion Ross and Chorus (b) Mister Snow – Margot Moser, Eric Mattson and Girls’ Chorus (c) When The Children Are Asleep – Margot Moser and Eric Mattson 4:38
7. (a) A Real Nice Clambake – Chorus Ensemble (b) Blow High, Blow Low – Morgan Davies and Male Chorus (c) What’s The Use Of Wondrin’ – Iva Withers and Girls’ Chorus 4:53
8. (a) If I loved you – Iva Withers and Stephen Douglass (b) My Little Girl – Stephen Douglass (c) You’ll Never Walk Alone – Marion Ross and Company 4:38
9. South Pacific – Selection. Part 1
Intro: Bali Ha’i, There Is Nothing Like A Dame, A Wonderful Guy, Some Enchanted Evening – Drury Lane Theatre Orchestra conducted by Reginald Burston 4:41
10. South Pacific – Selection. Part 2
Intro: I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair, Younger Than Springtime, Honey Bun, This Nearly Was Mine – Drury Lane Theatre Orchestra conducted by Reginald Burston 4:48
11. Some Enchanted Evening – Wilbur Evans 3:36
12. Bali Ha’i – Muriel Smith 3:35
13. Younger Than Springtime – Peter Grant 3:19
14. Twin Soliloquies – Mary Martin and Wilbur Smith 2:48
15. This Nearly Was Mine – Wilbur Evans 3:39
16. Happy Talk – Muriel Smith 3:29
17. Dites-moi – Patricia Lowit and John Levitt 1:19
18. Carefully Taught – Peter Grant 1:55
19. Finale – Mary Martin and Wilbur Evans 3:12
There are no reviews yet.