Masterworks Broadway springs forward with the release of three unexpected albums from the vault previously unavailable on CD – Marriage Type Love with Shirley Jones & Jack Cassidy, Androcles and the Lion, and Ed Ames: Opening Night/More I Cannot Wish You.
In 1959, the release of Shirley Jones and Jack Cassidy’s new album, Marriage Type Love was announced with great fanfare. The cover was prepared and all of the audio was recorded and mixed. Yet, for reasons that still remain unclear, the album was never released and the master tapes have resided in the vaults ever since.
Now, after more than fifty years, fans can hear the third collaboration between “the very much married-and-in-love” Shirley Jones and Jack Cassidy for the first time. Marriage Type Love features Marty Gold and His Orchestra backing up the singing couple with jazzy, brassy arrangements of a collection of songs that form what might be called a concept album built around the themes of love and marriage. Available here at Footlight Mid-May!
1. Marriage Type Love (from “Me and Juliet”)
2. A Lovely Way To Spend an Evening (from “Higher and Higher”)
3. It’s So Nice To Have a Man Around the House
4. Penthouse Serenade (When We’re Alone)
5. You’ll Never Know
6. Love and Marriage (from “Our Town”)
7. Love is Here to Stay (from “An American in Paris”)
8. My Darling, My Darling (from “Where’s Charley?”)
9. Love is the Reason (from “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn”)
10. I Married an Angel (from “I Married an Angel”)
11. I Love You (from “Mexican Hayride”)
12. Two Sleepy People