Jane Morgan Sings Showstoppers
Classically trained Jane Morgan began her music career with the Art Mooney orchestra in New York before being invited to perform in Paris where she remained for 4 years. She soon mastered the language and impressed the locals with her French songs. Moving to London in 1953 to appear in a stage show “Three Cheers” at the London Casino it was upon her returning to New York that she was signed by Kapp Records to make a series of singles, many of which turned out to be big sellers. With her proven success the record company launched Jane Morgan on to the Long Playing record market and she went on to make many best-selling LPs for the label.
The 27 titles here were gathered from the great years of Broadway theatre, the earliest being Toyland from the 1903 production of “Babes In Toyland”, leading up to the then more recent Broadway hits of the 1950’s such as “Damn Yankees” (Heart), “Bells Are Ringing” (Just In Time), “The Pajama Game” (Hey There) and “My Fair Lady” (I Could Have Danced All Night).
Also included are Give My Regards To Broadway, A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody, So In Love, Our Love Is Here To Stay and from Cole Porter’s “Can Can”, which had a Broadway debut in 1953, I Love Paris and C’est Magnifique. Although she excels in all styles Jane Morgan is more at ease in “romantic ballad mode”. With her warm vital vocal touch she offers lush versions of some great love songs: Dancing In the Dark, They Didn’t Believe Me, How Are Things In Glocca Morra? Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man and Speak Low. These selections contain further evidence of what made Jane Morgan a truly international star.
Here is a rewarding listening experience with a selection of some of the all time classic Broadway showstoppers performed by the charming chanteuse Jane Morgan.
1. GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADWAY / THE YANKEE DOODLE BOY 1:58
2. DANCING IN THE DARK 2:46
3. YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONE 2:29
4. TOYLAND / MOONBEAMS 2:44
5. I LOVE PARIS / C’EST MAGNIFIQUE 3:03
6. THE MERRY WIDOW WALTZ 2:58
7. THE SURREY WITH THE FRINGE ON TOP 2:19
8. HELLO YOUNG LOVERS 3:56
9. HEY THERE 2:59
10. A PRETTY GIRL IS LIKE A MELODY / SAY IT WITH MUSIC 2:49
11. SO IN LOVE 2:58
12. THEY DIDN’T BELIEVE ME 3:06
13. I COULD HAVE DANCED ALL NIGHT 2:38
14. HOW ARE THINGS IN GLOCCA MORRA? 3:12
15. A BUSHEL AND A PECK / IF I WERE A BELL 2:28
16. ALMOST LIKE BEING IN LOVE 2:30
17. CAN’T HELP LOVIN’ DAT MAN 2:58
18. YOU’RE JUST IN LOVE 2:47
19. A WONDERFUL GUY 2:32
20. THEY SAY IT’S WONDERFUL 2:59
21. LOVE IS HERE TO STAY 2:49
22. JUST IN TIME 2:06
23. LOVE FOR SALE 3:41
24. HEART 2:25
25. SPEAK LOW 2:18
26. MY MAN 2:49
27. BE MY LITLE BABY BUMBLE BEE 2:12