Once Upon a Time
An international star for six decades, millions adored Julie Andrews as Maria in The Sound of Music or as Mary Poppins, but Julie was already performing from an early age a long time before all that.
In 1948 the twelve year old Julie starred in Starlight Roof, a West End show, singing The Polonaise from Mignon, an aria that showcased to great effect her range and exceptional vocal ability. Julie's rendition of Polonaise, possibly her first commercial recording, is the opening track on this CD which also contains her follow up recordings - Je Veux Vivre; Come To The Fair; Je Vous Dirai Je Mama and The Wren.
As well as appearing in various pantomimes, Julie was soon established on BBC Radio with a regular spot on the show Educating Archie. The cast of Archie recorded Jack And The Beanstalk which featured Julie performing a delightful solo titled When We Grow Up. Julie then originated the role of Polly Browne in the New York production of The Boy Friend to great acclaim. The day after the show opened Julie's name was moved above the title of the show - at nineteen Julie had become a Broadway star!
High Tor, a television musical with Bing Crosby followed, but it was the role of Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady that made Julie a household name. The show opened in New York in March 1956 to ecstatic reviews and was ultimately considered the Broadway smash hit of the 1950s. Julie reprised her role when the show transferred to London.
In 1957 Julie recorded a unique selection of nursery rhymes entitled Tell It Again - Songs Of Sense & Nonsense. The eclectic mix of traditional children's songs and riddles expressed a sense of naivety and innocence reflective of the period, and is heard on this CD in full. The collection here showcases the recordings made in the early years of Julie Andrews' career, the music and performances that would shape the career of a truly remarkable talent and a much loved lady.
1. POLONAISE FROM "MIGNON" 3:22
2. JE VEUX VIVRE 3:12
3. COME TO THE FAIR (with Ted Andrews) 2:43
4. AH! VOUS DIRAI - JE MAMA 2:51
5. THE WREN 2:51
6. JACK AND THE BEANSTALK (with Archie Andrews) 8:53
7. THE BOY FRIEND 2:37
8. I COULD BE HAPPY WITH YOU (with John Hewer) 3:11
9. SAD IS THE LIFE OF A SAILOR'S WIFE 2:14
10. WHEN YOU'RE IN LOVE (with Everett Sloane) 2:58
11. ONCE UPON A LONG AGO 3:31
12. WOULDN'T IT BE LOVERLY 3:57
13. I COULD HAVE DANCED ALL NIGHT 3:29
TELL IT AGAIN (Tracks 14 - 18 with Martyn Green)
14. FAVORITE NURSERY RHYMES 6:00
15. SCHOOL DAYS AND LEARNING SONGS 7:19
16. SONGS OF FUN AND NONSENSE 6:51
17. THE ANIMAL WORLD 6:39
18. BEDTIME SONGS AND LULLABIES 3:20